If you are a beginner at golf then you need to know all the important rules of golf. If you are playing any match or open tournament then you must know how many clubs are in a golf bag? Whether you are a starter or an experienced golf player you must know that there is a total of 14 golf clubs are allowed in a golf bag.
These are decided by the United States Golf Association (USGA). Ignorance about golf rules can result in penalties and waste all your efforts during a match or tournament. Due to having strict rules and regulations, golf is probably the most refined and sophisticated game than others.
How Many Clubs in A Golf Bag?
As you can carry only 14 golf clubs in a golf bag so most people will confuse why you can not take more than 14. Golf is a very strict and compact sport and you have to follow rules which are developed by USGA. After knowing these rules of golf and strategies you can easily familiarize yourself with golf and this will help you to succeed.
The golf bag can contain only 12 clubs including other golf gadgets including balls, shoes, dress, and others. You can adjust only 2 more until it reached 14. The main reason behind this limit is to avoid any game penalties and to remain active in the match or tournament. All golf club guidelines fall under Rule No. 4 of the United States Golf Association.
- All golf clubs should be of high quality and standard
- All players can not use more than 14
- If any golf club damage during the match, the player can not replace them
If you are using any extra club during matches then you will get a 4-Stroke penalty and if you got a penalty while playing the game then it can remove your goal at the end of the game. If you got any golf club damage then you have to use others and you can not use any golf club of your partner during the match.
The maximum penalty for getting in a match is 4 Stroke. If you want to test any golf club of any of your friends then you have to do this before starting the match. Golf rules allow you to carry your golf clubs in your friend’s bag. Similarly, you cannot carry 14 clubs in your golf bag and an extra club in your friend’s bag.
Additionally, there is no limit to a minimum number of clubs so you can carry them according to your choice. The next question which comes to mind is the type of clubs. There are also no limits about the type of clubs which you want to use like wedge, putter, wood, and others, you are free to use.
What Are Golf Clubs?
A golf club is a club that is used to hit golf balls to reach its target. Each club is consisting of a shaft that is designed to provide a strong grip to the player. The main part of the club is the head which is used for hitting a golf ball. These clubs in golf are made with different materials including wood, iron, hybrid, wedge, putter, and others. The following are the types of clubs that are mostly used in golf games:
Iron Golf Clubs
These are mostly used in golf clubs in your bag which are present among 3 to 8 quantities where the dimension of these clubs varies from 18-Degree to 44-Degree.
Hybrid Golf Clubs
Hybrid is a combination of iron and wood. They are generally preferred due to their easy to clean and manageable features. Like others, they come in different styles and sizes like from 2 to 5 iron clubs and their dimension varies from 17-Degree to 28-Degree.
Wood Golf Clubs
These clubs are used for more distance in golf. These are mostly used for large size holes. Their dimension varies from 3 to 7 kinds of wood along with 14-Degree to 28-Degree.
Driver Golf Clubs
This is the longest club in your golf bag. This is also used to cover the maximum amount of distance during the matches. The dimension of drivers varies between 8-Degree to 14-Degree.
Penalties in History
There are various penalties that different players have faced during their matches for excessing the number of golf clubs. The USGA has made strict rules and regulations that you will be out of the game if you break any rule. One of the major penalties that happened in history is Open Championship 2001 Royal Lytham & St. Annes. The reason was that Ian Woosnam was blamed to enter the entrance point with 17 holes.
There were more than 14 clubs and by investigating they found that the extra one was wood. As a result, Lan has to face the Two-Stroke Penalty for breaking the rules. A golfer can face a Two-Stroke Penalty for every exceeding club and it can go up to Four-Stroke Penalty per round. These will result in deduction of every hole he will win and in the end player will be out of the game.
How to Choose Golf Clubs?
To avoid any kind of penalty during or after the matches you have to follow the guidelines set by the USGA. Using any golf club in any disorganized manner can kill your game and cause penalties. You should follow the following guidelines to prevent any trouble in the game:
- After 18 holes in a match, you can change the club in a match of 36 holes.
- If you have any broken clubs in your golf bag then you can replace them before stroke-play off.
- You can carry an extra golf club in your golf bag in only one case and that is if you have not used it during the whole match.
- You can use a driver with a length of 48” instead of using a 45” driver for any extra distance.
- If you want to reach a drive through the same tree then you can use a tee times of 4” in size.
- Until hitting a shot, you could spit on your club to sanitize the face.
- You regularly bring 13 golf clubs in your sack. Accordingly, you can get the distance wedge of your accomplices.
These tips are very useful for a beginner who want to gain experience in a golf game. As you play the game you can change the style according to your needs.
How to Organize 14 Golf Clubs in The Bag?
By knowing how many clubs can you have in your bag, the next step is to organize them. If you effectively organize all your golf clubs then the safety of your items will increase and also their life. The simple and easy organization of your 14 golf clubs will be beneficial for you while playing golf matches. You should follow the following steps to organize:
- First of all, you should empty your golf bag. You should remove all the content you don’t require or is not as important as golf clubs. You should also empty all side pockets of your golf bag from any kind of stuff.
- Collect all the necessary items and gadgets and place them in a separate bag instead of a golf bag. The reason is that golf clubs acquire more space than any other equipment.
- Now the golf bag is clean and wipes out and you can simply place the 14 golf clubs in them one by one. It is recommended to arrange all one by one from the left to the right side.
- After this, you can add more items with little size. You can use side pockets for that.
After knowing how many golf clubs are in a bag, it is also important to manage and use them properly. If you know all rules and regulations related to golf clubs then there are more chances to win in matches and it will also be important to avoid any kind of penalties. Golf is a game of riches and has strict rules over any other sport.
Golf clubs are a critical part of the game. You should also consider all things related to extreme weather conditions while taking these with you. You can also carry multiple types of golf clubs with you in your bag. The golf bag should be prepared completely to increase the efficiency of the players.
Please Check Our Latest Review Articles About The Following:
- Best HVAC Tool Bag In 2021
- Top 10 Best 17-Inch Laptop Bags
- Best Fishing Backpack
- Best Acoustic Guitar Gig Bag In 2021
- Best Survival Backpack
Shoaib is an amazing article writer that has written hundred of an in-depth article with full SEO optimization. He loves to write on travel, tech, and other topics with complete research.